Sunday, October 04, 2009

Zucchini Boats and Corn

I did not plant any zucchini in my garden this year. It's probably for the best. We had about 12 yellow crookneck squash plants that would not stop producing. The kids would whine and moan when they saw me coming in from the garden, arms laden with squash. I did just about everything you possibly could with that stuff; I boiled it, broiled it, baked it, shredded it and put it in EVERYTHING, froze it, and tossed it! I don't know what I was thinking! My mother used to put shredded zucchini in pancakes and I hated it! I was scarred. I never thought I would stoop so low! But I couldn't help myself when I put it in the lasagna. I thought it was good. But, note to self; next time I will shred it instead of slice it so they won't know!


I can't imagine their reaction if I had hauled the same-only in green- into the house!




We planted one zucchini plant in the community garden, and by the time we checked the plant, we found a HUGE zucchini! I knew it was the perfect size for a zucchini boat!
We also planted a huge crop of corn in the community garden. I snuck over and picked a bag full when it was just coming on. It was so tender and delicious--nothing like the corn we just had on Sunday that was tough and starchy--so much so that even the missionaries wouldn't eat it all. We had to throw it out!
I called my mother to get her recipe for stuffed zucchini boats and she had just made it herself the night before, but with sausage. Must be the season. I'm very sorry for not posting this recipe a few weeks ago when they were prime picking, but maybe you have a couple left sitting on your counter starting to look droopy. This recipe is great because you can make it to your family's tastes.
Zucchini Boats
1 lg zucchini,
1 lb hamburger or sausage, cooked with onions
1 diced onion
2 C chopped or canned tomatoes
1 C bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
Garlic, salt, and pepper to taste
cheddar cheese
(add any other ingredients you wish)
Slice Zucc lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and discard or use in mixture. Scoop out the zucc to make room for the stuffing, leaving 1/4 inch remaining. can go into the mixture. Place on cookie sheet.Mix remaining ingredients, including the scooped out part, and fill shell. Sprinkle cheese on top. Put about 1/2 cup of water in the bottom of the pan. Cover with an aluminum foil tent and bake at 350 degrees for about 35 to 40 minutes or until zucc is tender. I used all of the filling in one side of the zuc. I used the other half for zuc bread.
ENJOY!

2 comments:

Sylvia said...

So you will have two big zucchini boats when done because you split it in half? I'm gonna have to try this! :)

Sunny said...

Sylvia, you could fill them only half way full and do two of them. This was a VERY large zuc, so I only filled one. I used the rest for zucchini bread!