Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Home Town Parade

There isn't much I love more than a good old home town parade! When we drove through town at 1:00 the streets were already lined up with chairs, old couches, truck beds, and any other contraption you can rest your tush on, for the parade at 7:00 pm!



Since Grandma Shirley lives on Main street, she has a bird's eye view of the parade! We all line up our chairs right in front of the drive way and have a mini family Reunion right there on the streets of Kamas! It's great! It has got to be the best part of summer for me! I really missed it all of those years we lived away.



This parade is famous for throwing out a lot of candy, particularly salt water taffy (probably from the Great Salt Lake itself). This year was no different, and the children filled their recycled grocery bags half way full of it. I was surprised then, to see how many people threw out Otter Popsicles! We were dodging them left and right and some of them were melted and split open on impact showering us with sticky, staining liquid! Normally you feel pretty special if you are able to be one of the few to snag the cool treats, but at that parade, we were feeling lucky if we didn't get smacked by one!



Poor Hunter came to me crying that he had been hit on the head by hard candy twice! It's getting to be dangerous business watching the parade! It's also dangerous when the kids run out into the road to pick up a piece of candy, not realizing that the world's largest tires are rolling toward them! Or maybe prancing ponies are prancing toward them leaving steaming soft beds for the candy to land into!



Whatever happens during the parade, it is sure fire entertainment for the entire family!

I can't wait for next year!




The world's tiniest ponies! They fit in the palm of your hand! It just so happens that my Brother, Josh, put his hand up right in front of my shot, but it worked!

Connor and his dangerous parade treats. My advice: Never wear WHITE pants to the parade! (See that way cool monster truck in the background?)
Josh and the kids were at the parade. It was so much fun spending time with him. It would have only been more fun if Susanna wasn't partying with her sisters in RI! Sweet Phebe. Emily was so proud of braiding her hair!


Hunter and Connor are very intense about their weapons! These were their cousins marshmallow guns. Check out their serious expressions! Later on they each bought light lazer swords at the Derby.



Ahhhhh, Heaven!This is the sort of stuff you might see in the Kamas Parade!


The adults sit and watch the children hoping that they don't get trampled! Me, my brother, Josh, My Aunt Linda, Aunt Julie...
I have the most amazing photo of myself and Grandma Shirley in a similar pose that I will post if I can find it, so I had to snap this shot when I saw Emily sitting with her Great Grandma!

0 comments: