Monday, July 20, 2009

Connor is Growing Up!

It has been a summer full of change for my youngest babies. The boys both learned to ride two wheelers (without training wheels) finally! Hunter has been reading like a pro, and Connor just got his first loose tooth! He also got his Kindergarten immunizations today.

Connor "closely" watching Hunter Potter read.

One of Connor's badges of courage. It's a good thing they have such cool band aids!

Yesterday in church Connor leaned over and asked me if he would be six when he lost his first tooth. I told him that he probably would (thinking that his birthday is only 3 months away and there was no sign of wiggle). I nudged his tiny white bottom teeth just to check, and Oh My! They gave way just the teeniest bit!
Then today when my VTs were visiting, he came to me with tears of horror on his face! "MY TOOTH IS WIGGLY!" He cried. I told him that it was okay and that he had been waiting for that to happen for a LONG time! He said that he was sad because he had bitten a lego and it loosened the tooth and was sore. He went over and plopped next to My VT and told her he had been waiting a long time for his dolla' (dollar). Then Hunter piped up and said that one time the tooth fairy forgot to come until he went to eat breakfast and then went back and then she had been there. Lana told Hunter that her son gave up on the whole pillow thing and just left the tooth sitting on the kitchen table. It was much more effective that way! I was laughing!
Later on, I took Connor on a "mommy and son date." Connor finally had an appointment to get his vaccinations for kindergarten. After going through the torture and turmoil of waiting and fretting over the date with the older four, I decided not to mention where we were going until I absolutely had to.
As we were sitting in the dr's office, Connor began to get suspicious.
"Are we at an appointment?" He asked me.
"Yes." I tell him.
"Is it for me?" He asks again.
"Yes." I tell him.
"Why do I have an appointment?" I can see the wheels turning in his little brain.
I want him to figure it out himself. He knows.
"Why do you think you need an appointment?"
"For my shots?" He seems pretty casual even though the realization must be horrifying to him.
"Do you get dolla's for shots?" Oh he got me there!
"Of course you do! For being brave!"
Then the coaching and soothing begin. UNTIL we hear screaming from the back room! Connor got a little uneasy, and mom mode kicked in and I began distracting him like a pro!
Connor did really well! He gasped at the initial poke, but didn't cry a tear! I'm really proud of him.
We left and went directly to Dairy Queen for a chocolate Dilly Bar!
It's really exciting seeing the changes in these little boys, but what I wouldn't give to keep them little just a bit longer. I know I'll miss these times so much. I'm glad I know that now. My heart lurched when I heard James say, "I'll miss that little smile."
The end (until the pain of the shots later on).

2 comments:

Amber said...

Your babies are so cute, your grown ones too! I love reading your blog and have missed you! It sounds like you are having an exciting summer. Miss you and wish we lived closer to each other.

Sylvia said...

They are growing up so fast!! I keep wishing I could get out there still this summer with the kids...

Connor is so brave to get those shots! What a little dude! :) Sweet on the Mom distraction and the Dilly bar! Yay!