Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Medical Update

Well, nearly two weeks have passed by since my surgery, and I must say that I am feeling quite well considering what my body went through!

Because of this experience, and in an effort to help anyone else out there who may be going through a similar experience, I have decided to share a link that has been a life saver to me. It is http://hystersisters.com/. This also will reveal the type of surgery I went through, which I previously felt I should keep confidential, however, after reading the invaluable information on this website, I think it's worth the risk of sharing.

My path labs came back positive for endometriosis. No wonder I was always in so much pain! I have many, many, many internal stitches, and although I'm feeling pretty good on the outside, I am still very fragile on the inside! It makes it very difficult for me to behave and take it easy.

I read something on that website that recommends that you remain in pjs with no make up for the entire six weeks so that everyone else will remember that you are still recovering. I think it is a good idea!--although I'm the one that really needs the reminder.

After one week post-op, I was already feeling so good that I decided that I could start doing some light picking up. Then I was reading about what I was and was not able to do during recovery, and found out that, among the obvious things like no driving, heavy lifting, stairs, etc., there is absolutely no bending or twisting allowed. Wow! I continued reading to discover that if I do, it could cause internal bleeding, which leads to adhesions, which could lead to a life of pain. Here is the quote:

"Some of the damage you can do in the longer term is harder to detect when you are doing it. When your tissues are healing they are very sensitive to being pulled and squeezed. Scar tissue wants to form wherever there are internal incisions, and if there is even a tiny amount of bleeding inside it can 'stick' areas together that shouldn't be stuck together, with the result that bridges of scar tissue can form between organs or tissues that should not normally be connected. These areas of scar tissue are called adhesions. In some cases, they can grow over time until they occupy large areas of the pelvis and connect some or all of the organs there, and occasionally they can even grow nerves and their own blood supply. The result can be that every movement pulls on something it shouldn't and causes intense pain."


Since reading this information, I have been a very good little girl. In fact, each time I move I imagine my insides ripping apart. I'm sure these images are still due to the dramatic effects of the anesthesia. The anesthesia has also contributed to some vivid dreams and night mares. In fact, one morning I woke up and asked James if my brother, Josh, had come by in the night to pick up his dog. I was convinced that he was there! I also dreamed that Emily was sick in the night. Another night mare!

I have received so much help during the past two weeks. I have to attribute a lot of my quick healing to James and my kids who have taken up my slack, my mom, who came and took the kids so I could recuperate in total peace, and many friends and ward members, who brought delicious, nutritious meals for our family. The key to recovery, is taking it easy, and these people have been instrumental in helping me follow Dr.'s orders! Thank you everyone!

1 comments:

Sylvia said...

I'm so glad to hear you are healing well! Kudos on taking it easy!! That can be tough when a Mom, right? And the nightmares are no fun... I know about those. You are in my prayers!! LOVE YOU!!!