Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The End of Soccer

I am surprised to find myself somewhat saddened that soccer season has ended. I thought I would really dread having two kids in soccer, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm sure the fact that we live right across the street from the field helped a lot! Emily practiced a block away, and Hunter practiced a few blocks away. Emily would walk to her practices and we had to drive Hunter, but most of their games were across the street. The weather was always wonderful!
Most of Emily's teammates had played soccer before, but this was Emily's first year. Her team was undefeated (even though they don't keep score). I think she preferred the social and snacking aspects of soccer to the actual game! She did not like running on the field and I was constantly "cheering" for her to get into the game, but she was content to just walk and chat with her friends. I doubt she'll be playing again next year. The best was that she got a trophy and a gold medal! Way to go Emily!
Of course, I had to make a soccer ball cake for the last game! The colors look strange, but it was neon yellow to go with their shirts and green grass on the bottom.
Hunter also had several teammates who had previously played. This is Hunter with his friend, Blake. Blake broke her nose last year playing soccer--WOW, I can't believe she came back this year! It was so much fun watching Hunter play soccer. He was so enthusiastic. During the games he would just run around behind the crowd and follow everyone. Before his game tonight, I gave him a little pep talk. I told him to chase after THE BALL rather than the other kids. He played his best game tonight. He actually got in a couple of really good kicks. Now if he'll just remember that for next year! His coach was AMAZING!!! After each game she would give the kids a soccer ball patch for attending practice, and another patch to signify their contribution to the game. Each child was MVP at one game. The red patch was the blood patch for the child who got hurt. After the last game tonight, she had a barbecue for all of the families. She really was a great coach!

I will really miss the excuse of getting out and enjoying the fresh air. We have a tendency to stay couped up inside too much. All of the kids will be taking art classes in the fall for their extra curricular activity. Go Picasso! It will be good to spend the days indoors as it grows cold all too soon here in Idaho. Summer. . . until we meet again!

1 comments:

Connie said...

That is one amazing cake!!