Wednesday, May 07, 2008

An Angel Has Passed Away


Susan Metzger died in her home today, May 7, 2008.

My first memory of Susan was shortly after we moved to Idaho. She was riding her Roadster bicycle down our street, that pure white hair blowing in the breeze and her beautiful smile. She waved and said "Welcome to the neighborhood!" I knew at that moment that she was a special person.

Susan was one of those people who just drew people to her. She was Emily's Activity Days leader. She made us all feel like we were the most special people to her. I immediately wanted to adopt her as a "significant person" for Emily. She just needed someone to give her some extra attention.

We invited David and Susan over for crepes one Sunday night. We found out later that Susan had served her mission in France and she LOVED crepes (Pronounced crepes with the short e sound like in eggs). She probably ate 7 or 8 of them! I was amazed that such a tiny person could eat so much. They brought their own sweetener: stevia, because they didn't eat sugar. We had no idea at the time that anything was wrong.

It must have been a couple of months later that she developed breast cancer. They told no one. She may have had it before. They tried to treat it naturally, with diet and other means. The doctors gave her 6 months to live. It must have been in February. The cancer spread quickly, and she passed away today.

When I left for Virginia, I called Susan and asked if Emily could visit her each day after school for an hour so she wouldn't be alone. She said it was fine. Later, someone at church said that Susan was sick and that she wouldn't be singing in the choir anymore. I questioned them, but they just said she was sick. The way they said it clued me in that it wasn't just a sore throat. When I got home from church, I asked Emily if Sister Metzger was sick. She said she was and that she had oxygen in her nose, and that her daughter, Emily was there doing the dishes. I KNEW something was wrong then. I couldn't stop crying. I called her later and asked what was wrong. She told me that she had breast cancer. I cried on the phone and apologized for sending Emily to her when she wasn't well. She told me how wonderful it was having Emily there with her and about all of the things they did together. She told me how special and sweet I was. I begged her for some way that I could help. Thankfully she asked me to make 15 thank you cards for her. I quickly made them knowing that her time was short. I realized the significance of her writing her last messages on those cards. I put the cards in a basket and took them to her house last Sunday, a week and a half ago. I don't know if she was well enough to write any messages, but it feels so good knowing that I was able to do that for her and that I didn't wait too long, and that maybe I helped make her last days a little happier.

I don't know Susan's exact age, but she was in her 50's and was very young at heart. I was so angry when I found out she was dying. I knew what it would mean to Emily to lose another person in her life. I didn't think it was fair that we only got to know her for 10 short months. She was one of those people that you want to sit down and have them teach you EVERYTHING. After the anger came peace and gratitude for the gift of knowing her for any amount of time--short as it may be.

Our ward and neighborhood will be grieving the loss of this wonderful woman. She will be greatly missed. I'm so happy to know that I will be able to see her again someday. I'm sure she was catapulted into the Celestial Kingdom. That's the kind of person she was.
Good Bye, Susan. We love you!

2 comments:

Sylvia said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you - I'm grateful she was a part of your lives, even if for such a short time.

Sheila said...

Sunny, what a wonderful woman to have in your life, even if it was for a short time. God bless all of you and those who loved her.

Sheila