Wednesday, August 29, 2007

America the Cat



We have the cutest cat in the world named America. I didn't choose the name, nor-as a matter of fact-the cat! This is the story of how America became a part of our family.

You see, when my dear Aunt Linda told me to stop by her house before heading back to Idaho because she wanted to "give me something," I was thrilled. I thought that she was so kind to offer me a house warming gift of some kind. Little did I know the house warming gift would be warm--and in my house--along with being furry and scratchy and somewhat stinky! When I arrived at her house, Linda wasted no time. You see, she had seen my children with the cat and they took to it like a fish in water. She knew my major flaw! She immediately thrust it toward me and said, "do you want a cat?'

Since we had just gotten rid of our previous cat by leaving her at the house we just moved from, I yelled "NO!" Then more calmly said, "NO NO NO NO NO NO!" Then it was the eyes and the cute furry little creature staring up at me and if that wasn't enough, it was my 11-year old begging "please please please please" with that look! I told her I would think about it and let her know before we left. Oh, she also played the guilt card, telling me that it would have to go to the pound where it would most likely be destroyed--and oh by the way, you can have a whole bag of cat food, kitty litter and the box and food tray.

I had been pretty determined to stay pet free for at least a little while. No hair, no odor, no ruining carpet and furniture.

I knew the kids wanted a dog. James and I are not really "dog" people (no offense), but we're also not really "cat" people either. I decided to make the kids decide. I thought that by telling them they couldn't have a dog if we took the cat, they would see the light. I was wrong. They said that they didn't care about a dog anymore and all they wanted was America!!! And then it was they eyes again and the pleeeeeez-ing me to death. So, I said yes. What a fool.

I love having a kitten. We have never gone through so many Band-Aids. My couches seem to be popping loopy threads. Have you ever seen cat tug-of-war? Or how 'bout played Where's the Kitty? Oh, she's been locked in the closet all night long--hmmm, wonder what she left behind. Oh, we have had the cutest little hairballs all over our new carpet. Joy.

But she does have the most amazing amber eyes and the way she bats at my feet when I walk by is kind of cute. Oh, the way she purrs when you hold her like a baby and scratch under her chin. I guess we'll keep her for now anyway, but if we move again, she stays with the house!

Thanks Linda!

1 comments:

Sylvia said...

I kept thinking of the song "America the Beautiful" as I read your post! :) And with her amber eyes.... well, it just fits! :)